Personal notes while considering buying a flipper house in Manhattan Beach.
Seller agent: Alicia Blackburn (or Haskeys),
Vista Sotheby’s International Realty
The property was recently bought by Michael J Flavin (Mike Flavin, of Styl’n Construction) on 1/9/2020 for $1.15M. Interior and bathroom were partially remodeled. Exterior spray painted, windows replaced. laminate flooring, lights, garage door, furnace, kitchen remodel, blown-in attic insulation, grass added to backyard.
–> Relisted property for $1.5M (price increase of $350K).
No permits were obtained for any improvements or remodeling. Manhattan beach issues red-tagging and 2x fine to new owner.
Taxes were unpaid by Mike Flavin, lien was issued on house, previous loan of $330,700 Deed of Trust against property, supplemental taxes were unpaid on difference in assessed value from Jan-June 2020. Some disclosures were not initially given.
Inspection discovered (after remodel):
- Rusted cast-iron sewer pipe leaking sewage into crawlspace.
- Live abandoned electrical wires in crawlspace.
- Rusted, exposed electrical conduits, unsupported in dirt.
- Rusted gas line.
- All screens into attic and subfloor torn open by rats.
- Subterranian termites, dry termites, wood rot throughout.
- Water damage to sub floor and garage.
- Kitchen and bathroom fan venting directly into attic (not exterior).
- Lack of GFCI outlets.
- Laundry vent fire hazard.
- Neighbor entrance gives unsecured access to property.
- Wood / debris in crawlspace (pest infestation).
- Sewer line clogged with roots (hydro-jet required).
- Loan, title, tax, and lien issues.
- Alicia did not give all disclosures within required 7 day period.
- Request for repair — key items removed from our list without consent.
- Unable to provide property line information.
- Permits not pulled for any remodeling work done.
- Taxes not paid by Mike for 1012 Rosecrans and other prior properties leading to lien on 1012 Rosecrans.
- Taxes not paid by Mike on supplemental ($500K->$1.15M assessment in Jan 2020).